Skip to main content
Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- Is there more than one part to the assignment?
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- When is the assignment due?
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements?
- Company websites can be a good start for gathering background information & keywords, but keep in mind that they are usually there to market their services.
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "The Chocolate Industry in Africa is taking advantage of local workers. "
- Example Keywords: Chocolate, Africa, Workers
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Chocolate": Cocoa (similar term), Hershey Co. (narrower term)
- Example 2, Keywords "taking advantage of": Human Rights, Social Justice, Abuse
- Example 3, Keyword "Workers": Employees, Labor, Contractors, Farme
Discover | Explore | Imagine
Berry Library • Room 170 Main Building • 3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45223-2690 • 513-569-1606