Skip to main content
Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- When is the assignment due?
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements?
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "Lunch counter protests pressured business owners to change racist policies."
- Example Keywords: "Lunch counter", Protests, Racist, Policies
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Lunch counter": restaurant, diner
- Example 2, Keywords "Protests": demonstrations (wider term), sit-ins (narrower term)
Explore | Discover | Create
Berry Library • Room 170 Main Building • 3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45223-2690 • 513-569-1606