Skip to main content
Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- Your term paper will be 5-6 pages, not including the appendix
- Are there multiple parts to your assignment?
- There are 3 main parts to your term paper--be sure to follow the assignment instructions!
- What types of resources are required?
- You are NOT allowed to use Wikipedia as a direct source. Be sure to use the resources in this guide to find the full-text of the references listed at the bottom of the Wikipedia page
- When is the assignment due?
- Start gathering information early so you have plenty of time to read, write, & proofread
Make sure you incorporate sociological concepts!
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements? Follow the links below for some ideas.
- Story Behind the Protest Song: features 50 of the most influential musical protests and statements recorded to date, providing pop-culture viewpoints on some of the most tumultuous times in modern history.
- 33 Revolutions per Minute: a history of protest songs, from Billie Holiday to Green Day.
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.For example, if your song is about a woman cheating on her husband, you may be incorporating some discussion on sexual deviance. Your search terms may be "infidelity AND deviance".
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings. For example, the keyword "infidelity" could also be: adultery, cheating, or affair.
Berry Library • Room 170 Main Building • 3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45223-2690 • 513-569-1606