Skip to main content
Updates to Services & Resources
WE'RE STILL HERE TO HELP YOU!
We're just doing it a little bit further away than 6 feet....
We'll keep updating this guide as situations change & information comes in, so please keep checking back.
Before You Ask...
- Have something checked out? Please do not try to return your library items (yet). Cincinnati State items that are currently checked out and will have due dates that fall during this period of remote services will have their due dates extended until after the semester is over (see your email for details, or Login to Library Account). Items that were already overdue will be examined on a case-by-case basis once regular services are restored.
- Can I still check out Cincinnati State books? No. We are not circulating Cincinnati State materials until regular services are restored. Please browse our eBooks and streaming videos as alternatives.
- Can I have books delivered from other Ohio Libraries? No. OhioLINK & SearchOhio have suspended interlibrary lending due to the majority of libraries being closed.
- I have books checked out from OhioLINK & they are saying they are overdue. What do I do? We are not able to change the due dates on OhioLINK items, but will work with you to ensure the best outcome once things return to "normal-ish". Librarians are nice people, we swear.
- Can I just go to the public library? Many public libraries are also physically closed; if not closed completely, they may have reduced services. Please check the website for the public library you commonly use and/or call them before making a special trip. You may also want to browse the "Entertainment" tab to see how the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County can bring movies, music, & books to your electronic device, for free.
- What about the course reserves? Unfortunately, we also can not provide remote access to the textbooks that we check out for library use. If you have been relying on our course reserves for your studies, you may want to ask your fellow students for help gaining access to the text. Your instructor can not legally provide you with a copy of the material if it exceeds copyright restrictions, but you should also let him/her know if you are having issues.
So how do I get books?
Use our eBook platforms to find books you may access online. You can also use our regular "Book Search" of the Library's catalog, then modify your results to only include online resources.
- Can I come in just to use the computers? No, our physical library is totally closed. We hate how hard this makes it for those of you that come in regularly to use our computing resources (shout out to Mike!), but have to put everyone's health & safety first. Please contact your instructor ASAP if you do not have access to home Internet/computing and will need alternative means of completing your course
- What about the group study rooms? These are also currently closed. If members of your group have Internet access, you may want to try Google Hangouts, Skype, Oovoo, etc. for a free way to connect and collaborate online.
- Then, how do I print? You will likely be submitting most of your assignments online (if you have Internet access). If you need to print copies, you will likely need to visit a a business supply store, like Kinkos or FedEx, but you should call them first to see if they remain open (and will also be charged).
Whether you need books, articles, or academic videos, we've got you covered for 24/7 online access, anywhere that you have an Internet connection. You WILL need to know your 7-digit College Id to access most of our resources from off-campus (may be found in Bb on your registration statement), but that's it. Top starting points for online research include:
- Home Internet
Spectrum Internet: free Internet for 60 days to households with K-12 or college students.
- Wi-Fi Hotspots
Wi-fi hotspots available for use from Spectrum & Cincinnati Bell for free.
Call 513-369-6900 to check one out today.
- Late Fees
Cincinnati Bell is waiving late fees & disconnections for 60days.
Call 1-888-246-2355 to enroll.
Need a break from academics? The Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County has you covered with virtually (get it?) everything you need, including movies, audiobooks, eBooks, & music...all for free.
We are here to help! We've been serving off-campus users remotely since, well, since there was an Internet, but we know this is new to many of you. Below are links to some of our online library guides that may help you find the resources you & your students need.
Visit the "Library Video Tutorials" page (under Improving Student Research) to find & embed tutorials on how to use our most popular databases. The "Blackboard Integration"pages demonstrate how to include articles, videos & library guides directly within your Bb course site.
Open Educational Resources (OER) Guide
Visit the OER guide for top links on finding open access resources for your classes. The OERCommons also includes modules, interactive activities, & simulations you can include in your course.
Academic & Educational Guide (Stanford)
Focuses on copyright in regards to academic fair use.
Guidelines for Educators (pdf)
Guidelines from the United States Copyright Office.
Our Online Library
Looking for a printable overview of our online resources that you can share? Click the image at the left, or use the link below for a pdf.
Let us help you!
- Email us! Send an email to library.cincinnatistate.edu from your Cincinnati State email address. We will respond as quickly as possible during our staffed hours, but replies may take up to 24 hours, depending on staffing.
Note: emails sent from other domains (gmail, yahoo, etc.) will be rejected because of group settings.
- Text Us! Shoot us a text at 513.ASK.4466. Your text will be routed through our instant messaging platform, so our replies will be limited to 160 characters, and only returned during our staffed hours.
- Instant Message! Use the box below to to start getting help from one of our dedicated librarians. We're here for you!
Berry Library • Room 170 Main Building • 3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45223-2690 • 513-569-1606